Bilingual and Multicultural Certificate
CSD offers a Bilingual/Multicultural certificate (with an emphasis on Spanish/English bilingual populations) to students at the M.A. level in Speech Language Pathology to foster the development of the competencies required to serve bilingual individuals with communication disorders. Anyone accepted into the M.A. program can elect the Bilingual/Multicultural certificate option. The level of involvement in provision of services in other languages is provided at a level that is appropriate to the trainee’s language proficiency. Academic support to acquire knowledge of bilingual language development, manifestation of disorders in bilingual and multicultural populations, and culturally and linguistically appropriate service provision is provided through specialized coursework.
The specialization requirements are:
- Declare your interest (during New Graduate Student Orientation) to the Graduate Adviser.
- Six credits of specialized coursework selected from the following
- CSD 393E.10 Cultural and Linguistic Diversity
- Outside upper division or graduate elective with multicultural or bilingual focus
- 125 hours of clinical experience with a bilingual or multicultural focus (depending on certificate sought). These may include: formal courses (clinical practicums, externships) as well as clinical research rotations or volunteering under the supervision of a qualified SLP.
- Passing score on an oral proficiency test (at the advanced mid-level) Students desiring the Multicultural certificate need not take the oral proficiency test. Student who do not achieve a passing score at the advanced professional level but completing all other requirements are eligible for the Multicultural certificate.
Students in the M.A. thesis track who want to complete the Bilingual/Multicultural certificate might have to take an additional three credits to satisfy the certificate requirements, depending on rotation of course offerings. The second course may come from out the department.
For more information, contact Dr. Mirza Lugo Neris