Contact Information

CSD Graduate Program FAQs

Do you offer an AuD program?
Yes.  As of Fall 2004 we are now offering an AuD (Doctor of Audiology) program.  Please visit our AuD web pages for more information.

What happened to the tracks (specializations) in the Masters program in Speech-Language Pathology?
In response to changes in the ASHA certification standards (the new Knowledge and Skills Assessment–KASA–framework), we have restructured the curriculum to provide a set of core "foundations" courses, with comprehensive coverage of the field. These are supplemented by elective course work, enabling a student to go more deeply into topics of special interest or to broaden his or her expertise. Specialization is still possible, and it is encouraged. But it is done on a more individual basis with more flexibility than was possible under the previous system of "tracks".

Can I still specialize in bilingualism?
Effective Fall 2007 the CSD department began offering a Bilingual / Multicultural certificate (with an emphasis on Spanish/English bilingual populations) to students at the MA level in Speech Language Pathology. The purpose of the certificate is to foster the development of the competencies required to serve bilingual individuals with communication disorders.

How many hours are required to complete the MA program? How many hours of coursework are required each semester?
In Speech-Language Pathology, a total of of 39-42 hours of academic course work over five semesters (1st summer included). In Audiology, 65-107 credit hours (including clinical practicum) are required. Clinical practicum requires enrollment for additional credit hours each semester and summer. The typical course load in the Fall and Spring semesters is 12-15 credit hours (including practicum); in the summer students engage in practicum full time, along with one course.

How many hours of observation and clinical practicum are required to complete my Master’s or AuD program?
Our Speech-Language Pathology Master's program requires a total of 400 clock hours of practicum, which includes 25 hours of observation. Doctor of Audiology (AuD) students are required to complete 1820 hours, including clinical practicum here at the Speech and Hearing Center and off-campus with their fourth year externship.

ALL students are encouraged to complete their observation hours before entering the Graduate program in CSD here at UT Austin. Observation hours should be properly documented and certified (including signature of supervisor and ASHA certification number) by the institution at which they were earned.

What is the clinic and class load for graduate students each semester?
Students typically take 12-15 credit hours each long semester (coursework plus clinical practicum for SLP students) and (coursework plus clinical practicum for AuD students). In terms of the weekly time commitment, being a graduate student in this program is essentially the equivalent of a full-time job. Students normally take courses and/or continue practicum in the summer sessions.  Outside employment is highly discouraged.

How long does it take to complete the graduate program in CSD?
The program is designed to be completed in five semesters for Masters students in SLP (Fall-Spring-Summer Year 1; Fall-Spring Year 2) and four years for AuD students (Fall-Spring-Summer Year 1; Fall-Spring-Summer Year 2; Fall-Spring-Summer Year 3; Fall-Spring Year 4).

How much are tuition and fees for graduate students in CSD?
Fees for resident and non-resident may be viewed at the Registrar’s website.

How competitive is admission?
In a typical year we will admit approximately 30% of the total applicants.

How many students are admitted into the graduate program each Fall?
Each Fall we aim to enroll 22-25 new students in the Masters program in Speech-Language Pathology and 8-10 new students in the AuD program for Audiology.

What are the median GRE scores and GPAs of students accepted for admission?
The average scores of those admitted in the fall, 2015 MA program are as follows:   GPA 3.75   GRE 308
The average scores of those admitted in the fall, 2015 AuD program are as follows:  GPA 3.76   GRE 288
The GRE Concordance table for prior OLD GRE test scale and currently NEW REVISED test scale is at

Although the GPA and GRE scores as part of our review they are not solely the criteria for admission.  Our admissions committees also strongly considers all materials in your application such as your statement of purpose, letters of reference, résumé, transcripts, research experience, and prerequisite coursework or lack of when making our admission decisions.

I have a bachelor’s degree in another field other than CSD. Can I start the master’s program and complete leveling classes at the same time?
Typically, no. To be competitive for admission, an applicant must demonstrate that he or she will complete all prerequisite courses prior to the beginning of graduate study. We suggest that all applicants without the prerequisite courses take them first either here or at another institution.

Please visit "Applying to Take Prerequisites" to determine the process for former UT Austin students and students with degree from other institutions.

What if I earned observation hours or clinical practicum in my undergraduate institution? Will I be able to count those hours?
In most cases, yes, provided the hours are properly documented and certified by the institution at which they were earned. If admitted into our graduate program, then you'll need to verify these hours with our Clinical Faculty during our orientation with new incoming graduate students.  All newly admitted students will receive instructions on this process.  Documentation should include 1) Date of observation 2)  Record the initials of Client observed 3) Record the Age of Client observed 
4) Type of experience 5) Total hours observed 6) Supervisor's signature (only those supervisors who are certified with CCCs) 7) Supervisors' ASHA number for verification.

Can I transfer credit for graduate courses taken elsewhere?
The coursework must meet the approval of our academic faculty.  UT Austin Graduate School will only allow a limited number of courses (six hours) to be transferred into UT Austin unless the Department petitions otherwise.  Typically you would need to apply for admission into our graduate program and then our faculty will decide on a decision to either admit or deny your application.  You may be contacted to provide syllabi for each course you have taken elsewhere before an admission decision is made.   You must obtain a grade of 'A' in each course you wish to transfer.  You may be asked to retake graduate coursework to fulfill our requirements here in CSD at UT Austin.  There is no guarantee of admission and there is not guarantee that coursework taken elsewhere will count towards a degree in our programs here at UT Austin.

I am currently enrolled in a Master's or AuD program at another institution. Can I transfer to UT Austin?
Transfer is not automatic. Even if you are in a graduate program, you must apply in the usual way. Your application will be considered along with all others received by the deadline date. If you are admitted, then we will review your previous course work to determine which courses can be counted towards your degree and certification plans.  You may be asked to retake graduate coursework to fulfill our requirements here in CSD at UT Austin.  There is no guarantee of admission and there is not guarantee that coursework taken elsewhere will count towards a degree in our programs here at UT Austin.

Is financial aid available for graduate students at UT Austin?
Yes, through the Office of Student Financial Services.

What will it cost me to attend UT Austin?
The Office of Student Financial Services provides Cost of Attendance data regarding tuition/fees and other costs such as housing, which should help with your financial planning.

Are scholarships or fellowships available in the CSD graduate program?
Fellowships and assistantships (teaching, research) are available, on a competitive basis, within the Department. We consider all admitted students for such aid; no special application is required for fellowships, and a simple form, requesting consideration for an appointment as a TA or RA, takes care of those. Departmental aid is not considered until after the applicant has been admitted.  If admitted and you accept our offer of admission then you will be mailed an application to apply for a TA or RA assignment.  Typically, students do not find out if they will receive an assignment such as this until mid August just prior to our CSD orientation.

How does an applicant establish Texas residency at UT Austin?
Rules and Regulations for determining residence status are set by the Texas Higher Education Board. More information regarding Texas Residency may be found at The Office of Graduate and International Admissions website.

Do you offer a graduate program in Deaf Education?
Unfortunately, we have had to discontinue our graduate program in Deaf Education (lack of faculty resources), and we are no longer admitting students to that particular concentration. The following web site may be helpful to you in locating alternate programs: It is not necessary to register and log on the site in order to view the national list of accredited Deaf Education graduate programs.

Do you offer a distance-learning program?
No, at this time the Department does not offer a full-time distance-learning or correspondence basis programs.  We do however, teach a few courses to CSD enrolled students in the summer session through a web-based option.

What if I am not interested in clinical certification? Do you have a non-certification Master's program?
Yes, Master's programs for students not seeking certification in Speech-Language Pathology are typically more focused on research and are individually tailored to meet each student's needs and interests. The Graduate Program Coordinator can provide more information about such programs.